You can get BT TV in a second room with Extra Box. This gives you an additional non-recordable TV box, or recordable TV box, to watch BT TV in another room, at the same time. You can watch all the channels and Catch Up and On Demand services that you can view on your main box (excluding Sky Sports and Sky Cinema).
What do I need to get Extra Box?
- Fibre broadband with speeds of 23Mbps or more
- An Extra Box subscription
- Two non-recordable TV boxes, or two recordable TV boxes, or a non-recordable TV box and a recordable TV box
- A separate aeriel connection for your second box. We can help if you need an aerial or additional connection points.
Things you need to be aware of with Extra Box
Using two boxes to stream content over your broadband connection requires greater broadband speed, so there may be occasions when you experience pixilation, failed recordings or an IPC6023 error message. If this happens, it may be because your broadband isn't fast enough to support everything you're watching or recording.
There are some steps you can take to fix this issue:
- If you're watching an HD version of a channel, switch to the standard version - for example, BT Sport 1 instead of BT Sport 1 HD
- Make sure you're set up correctly and your BT Hub is connected to your TV box via an ethernet cable, not Powerline Adapters
- If you receive error IPC 6023, get more help for IPC errors >
More questions answered
Powerline Adapters and Broadband Extenders aren't currently supported. Extra Box consists of two TV boxes which both need to be wired directly to your BT Hub with an ethernet cable.
You can buy Powerline Adapters at www.shop.bt.com >
Your BT TV services are delivered through your broadband connection, so additional boxes increase the reliance on broadband speed. We have limited Extra Box to two boxes to make sure you get the best possible experience.
If you cancel your Extra Box subscription within your 12 month contract, you'll have to pay a charge for the remainder of your contract period and a deferred payment for your additional TV box.
Yes, if both boxes have been supplied by BT you can add the Extra Box subscription to your BT TV account, to access BT TV services on both boxes.
And don't forget the BT Sport App
If you're a BT Sport subscriber you can watch BT Sport on the move and in different rooms at home, either via the BT Sport App or via the BT Sport Second Box service (see www.btsport.com). If you have the technology at home to connect your PC, laptop, or handheld device to your TV (such as a Google Chromecast device), then you can stream BT Sport programmes from the app or online player straight to your TV.