BT Sport terms
These terms and conditions apply from 8th December 2015
|RECENT UPDATES TO THESE TERMS|
We've made some changes to these terms which are detailed below:
- We've clarified which BT Sport content counts towards a BT Broadband usage limit when viewed using BT Sport Online or the BT Sport App – see paragraph 24;
- We've added a new term to cover additional content and bonus channels that we provide at no cost – see paragraph 32;
- If we increase the price you pay or substantially reduce the channels you can watch we will now give you 30 days' notice instead of 40 – see paragraph 46;
- We'll tell you about changes in programme content through our Friday Fix update;
The following words and phrases which are used throughout these terms have the meanings described in the list below:
|BT Standard Broadband||The BT Broadband service over a copper network that can handle live channel streaming.|
|BT ID||A user ID which BT will provide and a password that you must choose for use when accessing BT Sport Online.|
|BT Sport Online||BT Sport including content available via:|
- an App that can be downloaded from Windows 10, Google Play or Apple App stores (the BT Sport App) and
- the BT Sport Website at www.btsport.com (unless you only have BT Sport on a BT mobile phone contract in which case you will not be able to view BT Sport on the BT Sport Website),
The content on the BT Sport Website may differ sometimes from the content available on the BT Sport App. The content and functionality available via the BT Sport App may differ depending on which platform your mobile device supports.
|BT Sport Second Box||A BT service allowing BT Sport viewers on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform to view BT Sport on a second Sky box at the same address.|
|BT TV||BT's television service offering access to video on demand content and a range of television channels.|
|Channels||The channels we may offer as part of BT Sport|
|DTT||Digital Terrestrial Television – the television broadcast system using a roof-top TV aerial for signal reception.|
|Pack||Any of the different packages of Channels we offer.|
|Red Button Channels||Those additional channels that we may make available to you within your chosen Pack which can be accessed either via BT Sport Online, or via the red button on your TV remote control or by such other means as we may offer to you.|
- BT TV Platforms – The BT TV and YouView platforms delivering content to a set-top box via DTT and BT Standard or Fibre Broadband.
- Sky Digital Satellite Platform – delivering content to a set-top box via satellite.
|YouView||A TV and content platform that allows access to BT TV as well as on-demand content and television channels from other providers.|
Your Contract for BT Sport is made up of these BT Sport terms, any Special Offer Terms, the Tariff Guide and the BT Residential Standard Terms, all as made available at www.bt.com/legalstuff. If there is any conflict between the terms set out above then we shall resolve that conflict in line with the provisions set out in the Residential Standard Terms.
BT Sport – What we provide
- BT Sport is a pay TV subscription service that allows you to access content on the Channels included in any Pack that you subscribe to. Additionally BT Sport allows you to view the Channels in HD by adding an HD subscription and, if you view BT Sport via the Sky Digital Satellite Platform, view BT Sport on a second set-top box in the same household by adding a BT Sport Second Box subscription.
- When you order BT Sport no matter which Pack you choose you must decide how you want to view BT Sport. You can choose from:
- BT TV Platforms; or
- Sky Digital Satellite Platform; or
- BT Sport Online
Click on the links above for more details of each option.
- If you decide to view BT Sport on TV Platforms you can also view BT Sport via BT Sport Online. BT Sport Online is also available as a standalone service if you have BT Broadband.
- You may also watch BT Sport on your BT TV Extra box.
- BT Sport is broadcast in both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD). To view BT Sport in High Definition you must add an HD subscription to your BT Sport subscription. Viewing in HD requires your set top box and television set to be HD ready and you will need an HDMI cable to connect these devices. We will let you know if you are not able to have BT Sport in HD before you try to purchase a BT Sport HD subscription. BT Sport in HD is not available:
- with BT Sport Online;
- with BT TV Platforms delivering content via DTT; or
- with BT TV Platforms delivering content via BT Standard Broadband.
When your access to BT Sport starts
6. Access to BT Sport will start:
- on BT TV Platforms delivering content via BT Standard or Fibre Broadband, as soon as your set top box is activated to receive the content;
- on BT TV Platforms delivering content via DTT, as soon as the viewing card that you will need to purchase from BT is inserted into your set-top box and activated;
- on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform, as soon as Sky Subscribers Services Limited (SSSL) enables your Sky viewing card to receive the content; and
- on BT Sport Online, as soon as your BT ID is authorised for use with BT Sport Online.
- If you access BT Sport on BT TV over DTT you will need a viewing card that we will provide to you and activate.
- If you access BT Sport on the Sky Digital Satellite Platform, except where you use a Sky Q Box, you will need a viewing card that SSSL will provide to you and activate. If you subscribe to BT Sport Second Box, except where your second Sky Box is a Sky Q Box, you will need a second viewing card which SSSL will provide to you and activate. Paragraphs 9 to 15 below apply to both your first and/or second viewing card.
- Your viewing card acts as a key so that you can unlock (decrypt) the BT Sport Channels. Having the viewing card does not mean you have a right to own the viewing card after it is sent to you and does not mean you have the right to receive BT Sport. You do not own the viewing card, which remains the property of BT or SSSL as the case may be. If we or SSSL ask you to, you must return the viewing card after your contract comes to an end or if we or SSSL require you to, return it when a replacement is sent to you.
- Only you may use the viewing card which we or SSSL send to you. You can only use the viewing card at your home address where the service is registered and only with the set top box that is registered to receive BT Sport. You must only use the viewing card for private viewing purposes.
- If you give the viewing card to anybody else we or SSSL as the case may be can make it invalid and/or terminate your access to BT Sport.
- You must not tamper with the viewing card or use it for anything that we or SSSL do not authorise.
- Your viewing card must be kept in your set top box at all times. You will need to keep the set top box connected to a mains supply and suitable broadband/telephone service in standby mode when not in use in order to receive software updates. The software in your set top box remains the property of BT or Sky, as the case may be.
- SSSL shall be entitled to disclose your name, address and the services you receive via the viewing card as part of the proper administration of the Sky Digital Satellite Platform.
- Your viewing card must not be used outside the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man and any change of address must be notified to us immediately.
Your Use of BT Sport
- BT Sport is intended only for personal use, whichever platform you view BT Sport on. Any BT Sport content provided to you via TV Platforms and any recordings of such content should only be viewed at the private address you gave us when you ordered BT Sport. You may also watch BT Sport Online on devices such as tablets or mobile phones once you have activated the BT Sport App and agreed to the BT Sport App licence terms.
- You can only access BT Sport on one set top box per customer account unless you also subscribe to BT Sport Second Box.
- You must not, or allow anyone else to access or use BT Sport for any improper or unlawful purpose.
- All copyright, trade-marks and all other intellectual property rights in all material or content provided on BT Sport will remain ours or, where applicable, our third party content partners'.
- You must not do, or authorise others to do any of the following:
- make unauthorised or unlawful recordings of any content provided via BT Sport;
- reproduce any recording made using your set top box;
- re-distribute or re-broadcast any content provided via BT Sport;
- reproduce any recording made from BT Sport;
- display any content in retail, business or commercial premises or for any business or commercial purpose;
- sell or make any charge for watching or using any part of BT Sport; or
- show any part of BT Sport in public to an audience, even if no charge is made.
- We may prevent the copying of any content from BT Sport.
- You are responsible for setting up and maintaining any parental controls that may be available to govern access to BT Sport. Some BT Sport content may not be suitable for viewing or use by persons of all ages. For this reason, it is your responsibility to ensure that the content viewed or used is suitable for those viewing or using it (including children). We are not responsible for this.
- If you access BT Sport using the BT Broadband service that we supply to you at your home address, then:
- If you access BT Sport on BT TV, any data you use will not count towards any download limit applicable under your BT Broadband agreement;
- If you access BT Sport via BT Sport Online or via the BT Sport App using your home Wi-Fi connection, the data you use in viewing live channel streaming will not count towards any download limit applicable under your BT Broadband agreement. Any live channel streaming content we do make available which will count towards any download limit applicable under your BT Broadband agreement, will be clearly marked with a warning message displayed either onscreen or on the webpage containing the video player before the broadcast/download begins.
- If your broadband service is with another provider or you use a computer not connected to your BT home broadband service, use of BT Sport Online may count towards any applicable download limit for the broadband service used. Use of BT Sport Online via a mobile data network may count towards any applicable monthly data allowance.
- Your use of BT Sport Online is subject to the terms and conditions of use which are available to view via the BT Sport Website. You will need to accept further terms to access BT Sport via the BT Sport App on tablets and smartphones.
Quality of Service
- We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service on BT Sport. From time to time faults may occur. We will repair these faults as soon as we can.
- The quality and availability of Channels provided over DTT is dependent on the quality of the broadcast from your local transmitter, where you are located in relation to the local transmitter, and the quality of your television aerial. The quality of any content provided via BT Sport Online is dependent on the quality and speed of your internet connection. The quality of content provided over BT TV Platforms via BT Broadband is dependent on the quality of the ethernet connection between your set-top box and BT Home Hub.
- The quality of Channels provided over the Sky Digital Satellite Platform is dependent on the quality of the broadcast from Sky's satellite(s) and the quality and positioning of your television satellite dish.
- We can change, add to, replace or withdraw any Channels. We can also change, add to, replace or withdraw Channels within a Pack, or introduce new Packs or withdraw Packs (including any Pack you are subscribing to) for any of following reasons:
- the programme content that is available to us changes (for example we gain or lose the right to show particular sporting events and wish to change our Channels or Packs as a result);
- If Channels or content are provided to us by other broadcasters or organisations, and stop making the Channels or content available generally or to us, or they make changes to the Channels or content;
- to allow us to change the way that we charge you for certain Channels, Packs or other content (for example when we add new Channels);
- in our opinion, it is no longer commercially sensible for us to provide that Channel or Pack (for example because it has become too expensive for us to buy sport content for broadcast);
- to allow us to show BT Sport in a way that we consider enhances your viewing experience (for example by adding additional features online or in ultra HD); or
- as a result of any change in the law or any regulation or regulatory guidance that is applicable to us.
- If we withdraw the Pack you currently receive, we can move you onto the nearest equivalent Pack. We will tell you about this, and any increases to your subscription charges, at least 30 day before it happens. If we substantially reduce the number of Channels (but not the Red Button Channels) within the Pack you currently receive, we will tell you about it at least 30 days before it happens. If we make either of these changes, you can cancel your BT Sport service as set out in paragraph 46, and you will not have to pay us any charges for ending your service early.
- Sometimes we may choose to give you access to additional content or bonus channels at no extra cost in addition to your chosen subscription. Any additional content or bonus channels we provide are not part of your subscription and we can change or withdraw them at any time without prior notice. If we plan to charge for any additional content or bonus channels we are currently providing without charge, we will tell you in advance and you will need to tell us that you want to continue receiving the chargeable content or channels to avoid them being withdrawn at the point that we start charging for them.
Paying for BT Sport
- You must pay the subscription charges for BT Sport every month in advance by direct debit.
- We may increase the charges for BT Sport (including introducing new charges) for any of the following reasons:
- we materially change or add to the content that you receive in your Pack (for example, we introduce new Channels, or change the programmes in your existing Channels);
- we introduce a new Pack which we wish to make a charge for, or a new Channel which we wish to charge for separately;
- we wish to change the way we structure our Packs and Channels;
- the cost to us of providing BT Sport increases (for example, we may gain the rights to show different sports which cost us more money, or the price of the existing sports we show increases);
- we add to, or change the way we provide BT Sport to you (for example, we introduce a new way in which you can receive BT Sport);
- we introduce new features or benefits to BT Sport;
- the cost to us of running our business increases;
- we reorganise the way in which we structure, or run our business which results in additional costs to us;
- as a consequence of any change in the law, regulation or regulatory guidance applicable to us (for example if there is a VAT increase);
- for any reason other than those set out in paragraphs 34 (a) to (i) above, as long as we do not increase a price or charge by more than 10% on any one occasion (although we may increase different prices or charges on different occasions).
- If we increase the charges for BT Sport for one of the reasons set out above, we will tell you at least 30 days' before it happens, and you can cancel your BT Sport subscription as set out in paragraph 46, and you will not have to pay us any charges for ending your service early.
- Charges for BT Sport are set out in the Tariff Guide, including the monthly subscription charges for the Pack that you have chosen, for HD and for BT Sport Second Box, and for any activation charge you may have to pay.
- When you contract for BT Sport you agree to accept E-Billing. We will send you your bill each month by email.
- If you order BT Broadband and BT Sport via the Sky Digital Satellite Platform at the same time, and you either:
- cancel your BT Broadband contract before the BT Broadband service is activated, or
- delay your BT Broadband activation date by more than 30 days;
then you will have to pay the full standard price as set out in the Tariff Guide for BT Sport, from the date your contract for BT Sport started, and you may be charged the Activation Charge for BT Sport.
Our responsibility to you
- If you are unable, for a prolonged and continuous period, to view or adequately view BT Sport on a TV Platform because of a fault in BT's broadcasting system, we will credit you with a proportion of any subscription charge you have paid during the affected month. But we are not responsible for the operation of the DTT or Sky Digital Satellite platforms and we will not be responsible to you if the reason you cannot access BT Sport is due to a fault on either of those broadcasting systems.
- If you report a fault and we agree to your claim, we will arrange for a credit to be made to you. We have no responsibility to pay you compensation under this contract for losses arising as a result of any fault in a television set or any third party equipment you use.
- We agree that nothing shall preclude our liability to you for death or personal injury as a result of our negligence, or our fraud.
Promotion, Advertising and Links to Third Party Sites
- Your dealings with, or participation in promotions by, any third party advertisers on BT Sport are solely between you and such third party. You agree that we will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage of any kind incurred by you as the result of any such dealings or as the result of the presence of such third parties on BT Sport.
- BT Sport Online may present links to third party websites not owned or operated by us. We are not responsible for the availability or content of these websites.
Changes we may make
- Occasionally, we may have to interrupt programming on BT Sport. If we do so, we will restore it as quickly as we can. We may also make minor changes to certain technical specifications.
- Sometimes we may write to you and ask you to do things that we think are necessary to safeguard the security or quality of BT Sport. If we do so you agree to comply with any reasonable requests that we may make to safeguard the security of BT Sport.
- If we plan to:
- increase the subscription price you pay for BT Sport, or
- substantially reduce the number of Channels (but not Red Button Channels) within the Pack which you subscribe to, or
- change the BT Sport terms and conditions to your material disadvantage (which we may do under the Residential Standard terms),
then we will write to you to tell you about these changes so that you have at least 30 days' notice before they happen. If you reasonably consider that you would be materially disadvantaged by such a change, then you will have 30 days from the day you receive our written notification to call us and end your contract for BT Sport, on up to 30 days' notice to us. If you do so you will not be charged the higher price for BT Sport (if you have already paid the higher price we will refund the difference to you in your next or final bill), and if you are still in a minimum contract term for BT Sport, you won't have to pay early termination charges for ending your contract early. If we make changes to your terms and conditions which are not to your material disadvantage we will tell you about them in line with the Residential Standard terms.
Our Right to End or Suspend BT Sport
- We may immediately suspend or end your access to BT Sport if:
- you fail to pay for BT Sport or try to pay using a method other than that which we have agreed with you; or
- we reasonably believe that you are using BT Sport in a way that does not comply with these BT Sport terms and conditions.
Ending the Contract for BT Sport
- If you or we end this agreement, we will block further access to BT Sport at the end of your notice period.
- Once we have provided you with access to BT Sport, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time. Your BT Sport contract will end 30 days after the date you told us to stop providing the service. We will continue to charge you the agreed monthly subscription fee until the date that your BT Sport contract ends and if you are still in a minimum term for BT Sport you will have to pay early termination charges.