If you've accidentally opened or downloaded a suspicious file, you should now download anti-virus software and complete a full scan of your computers.
If you already have BT Virus Protect or want to use another anti-virus checker we recommend using either McAfee Stinger for PC or Sophos Antivirus for Mac. Both are free to use. Visit their websites for more help.
This guide will walk you through downloading and installing BT Virus Protect, which comes free with many of our BT Broadband packages.
To install BT Virus Protect, you'll need to be connected to the internet and have your BT ID username and password handy. If you don't have a BT ID or you've forgotten your username or password find out what to do >
- Go to www.bt.com/mybt to log in to My BT. Scroll down and click on the Your Security
- Scroll down to the 'BT Virus Protect' section and click the 'Download BT Virus Protect' link
- Click the Download button
- Accept the "Licence Agreement" to continue
- On the next screen, highlight and copy the serial number before doing anything else. You may or may not need this later depending on the computer and browser you're using. Once copied, click on the Download file. This will trigger a file download alert. Confirm that you wish this to run and follow any on-screen instructions to start the download.
Installation of the software will then start and you will see this running on the screen. If you get prompted to enter your serial number, put your cursor into the box and select Paste to put in the serial number you copied earlier. Select Next
- You'll be prompted to confirm whether you want to install a "Complete" or Custom" version. We recommend you leave it as "Complete" so your computer is completely protected, and then click Next
- Installation will now start
- A check will be run for any existing software that needs to be removed before BT Virus Protect can be fully installed. If any software is detected the install will remove it. Once this has completed, select ‘Restart’ and your PC will reboot automatically. The install will start back up once your PC has restarted.
- If no existing software is detected, the installation will continue on its own
- When you see the "Your software was successfully installed" screen, click Done
- Once BT Virus Protect is installed, you can access it in one of two ways. If you chose at set-up to create a desktop icon you can double click on this to open BT Virus Protect. Or you can select the icon in the system tray and press open
- In the navigation pane select the Schedule and run scans link which will open up a new window
- Click the Scan your PC link
- On the next page, select either Run a quick scan, or Run a full scan which will scan your entire system
- When the scan is complete, BT Virus Protect will provide you with the results. Click Done to finsih
If you've detected a virus after following a link or downloading a file in a phishing email, we recommended you follow our guide to re-securing your account by changing your password >
If you need any further help with this, check our forum pages >
Our paid-for BT Tech Experts service can also help with viruses and using anti-virus software. Find out more about BT Tech Experts >