Roam Like Home lets you use your mobile abroad in 47 destinations without paying extra roaming charges. Instead when you’re roaming.......
Roam Like Home lets you use your mobile abroad in 47 destinations without paying extra roaming charges. Instead when you’re roaming in our Roam Like Home zones you can use your mobile plan allowance to use data, make calls and send texts back to the UK and to the 47 destinations. You can also receive calls and texts for free when you’re roaming in these zones.
You can benefit from Roam Like Home in the following countries at no extra cost:
|Zone 1a||Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal (including Azores and Madeira), Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Vatican City|
|Zone 1b||Canary Islands, French Guiana, Gibraltar, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Iceland, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Martinique, Mayotte, Norway, Reunion, Saint Barthelemy, Saint Martin, San Marino, Switzerland|
Before using Roam Like Home, you need to make sure that you have roaming enabled on your account and on your phone. To check your roaming is switched on, go to your settings on My Mobile >
- Calls and text (SMS) back to UK land lines and mobiles from Roam Like Home countries
- Calls and text (SMS) to landlines and mobiles in the same Roam Like Home country as you're roaming in
- Calls and text (SMS) to landlines and mobiles from any Roam Like Home country to another Roam Like Home country, excluding anything made from the UK
- Data usage
- Once your allowance is used up we will charge any further Roam Like Home events at UK out of plan rates until the allowance renews
- Calls and text received while roaming are free of charge
- Calls to 150, 151 and 154 are free
- Calls to numbers starting 0800, 0808, 0500 are free
- Calls to 1571 are free
If your plan gives you 20GB or more of data each month, we may apply a surcharge if you use more than our fair use policy allowance of 15GB of data in one monthly billing period.
What's not included?
- Any calls and text (SMS) made from the UK to any country overseas. Normal prices for making international calls and sending texts from the UK apply
- Calls and text (SMS) sent to the rest of the world while roaming in Roam Like Home countries. We will charge the roaming price for calls or texts to the rest of the world
- Calls to UK service numbers, which are calls not linked to a specific locality (with a prefix of 084, 087, 09 and 118)
- When roaming in Northern Cyprus, you may connect a Turkish network. As Turkey isn't in the EU and isn't a Roam Like Home country we will charge you for any roamed usage
- Calls to UK personal number. These are UK numbers prefixed with 070
- Picture messaging
You can find out more about call charges abroad in our Price guide. The fair use policy is also clearly explained there.
The My BT app is an easy way to keep track of what you're using and see how much data, minutes and texts you've got left in your plan. The usage bars on the app will show Roam Like Home usage.
You can also view your recent usage through My BT. You'll see any charges for roamed usage in the Roaming section of your bill.
If you go over your allowance, we will charge you the UK out of plan rates. We will send you a notification alert if you go over 80% of your usage allowance and another when you have used it. If you want to increase your allowance for when you're roaming, you can either:
- upgrade your mobile plan to get a bigger allowance
- or boost your allowance with our BT Mobile UK add-ons >
You should only need to buy an add-on when you're about to exceed the allowance on your UK mobile plan.
If you're in a Roam Like Home country and connected to that country’s network you can benefit from Roam Like Home. If you're on a cruise ship at sea your mobile may connect to a maritime satellite service. If that’s the case you will get charged at Roaming zone 9 rates.
To avoid maritime roaming charges we recommend that you wait until you've landed and connected to the land network, which means if it’s in a Roam Like Home country and connected to that country’s network you can benefit from Roam Like Home.
Some cruise companies have a mobile network on the ship which connects to an overseas network. So effectively the cruise ship acts as a node for that country’s network. For example the cruise ship's network could be connected to the USA network and any roaming charges made using it will be shown on the bill as roamed events from the USA and charged as such.
You can find out more about call charges abroad in our Price guide >
We have no current plans to change our approach to mobile roaming, or Roam Like Home, after the UK leaves the EU.