We'll have sent you an email if we believe you’re using Yahoo settings to access your BT Email.
If you are, you must:
- change your server settings in your email client (for example Apple Mail, Outlook or Gmail) from Yahoo's server settings to BT's server settings
- stop using the Yahoo Mail app on your phone and set up a new way to access your emails
How to update your settings
Follow these steps to update the incoming and outgoing server settings in your email app or client, for example in Outlook, Apple Mail or Thunderbird or Gmail:
- Open the settings in your app or email client
- In the ‘Incoming server’ section, change the Server to ‘mail.btinternet.com’ (it will currently be either ‘imap.mail.yahoo.com’ or ‘pop.mail.yahoo.com’)
- In the ‘Outgoing server’ section, change the Server to ‘mail.btinternet.com’ (it will currently be ‘smtp.mail.yahoo.com’)
All the other settings should stay the same.
If you're blocked from updating your phone/tablet app
If your app prevents you from editing the settings, you'll need to delete your account from the app and re-add it.
Before you delete your account, check 'Incoming sever' setting:
- If your Incoming server is ‘pop.mail.yahoo.com’ we recommend you sign in to BT Webmail and check the emails in your in box:
- if all your emails are there - you can safely delete your account from the app and re-add it
- If emails appear to be missing - we recommend you create a back-up of your email on your device and then delete your account from the app and re-add it
- If the Incoming server is ‘imap.mail.yahoo.com’ - you can safely delete your account from the app and re-add it
How to set up a new email app
Your device will usually have a default mail app you can use. You can also download one from your app store.
To set up the app, you’ll usually only need to enter your BT email address and password. Most apps will automatically complete the settings.
Get the email settings if you need to enter them manually.