When you set up your BT Hub for the first time, wireless is automatically switched on. We don't recommend turning off your wireless as our Hubs can give you superfast connections with a wired and wireless connection at the same time.
Here's how to turn wireless on and off on the BT Smart Hub:
- Open a new web browser on a device connected to your Hub and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.
- Click Advanced Settings
- Click Wireless
- Enter the admin password. Unless you've previously changed it, you'll find the default password on your Hub settings card on the back of your Hub. If you have changed it and now forgotten it, you can use the password override feature to set up a new password without losing all your personal Hub settings and configuration
- Set the "Wireless" switch to "ON" or "OFF". This will turn wi-fi on/off for both wireless bands
- Remember once you make any changes you will need to save them. Click Save
You'll know that both wireless bands are switched on and working when the Hub's central Power light is solid blue and both the Broadband and Wireless lights are off.
But if the Wireless light is orange, it means that one or both of the wireless radios isn't broadcasting a wireless signal. So some of your wireless devices won't be able to connect to the Hub.
- If your wireless is switched off, you'll need to connect to the Hub via an Ethernet cable. Check the Ethernet cable is plugged in properly at both ends. Push the connector in until there's a small click as it locks itself in place
- Open the Hub Manager by typing 192.168.1.254 in your web browser
- Click on the Settings tab and enter your Hub Manager password to log in. Unless you've changed it, you'll find it on the pull-out Hub settings card on the back of your Hub. If you've changed it and forgotten it, you can use the password reset feature
- Go to Advanced Settings and click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button
- Click on the Wireless tab and then the 2.4GHz Wireless option
- The first setting is "Wireless network enable". Select the Yes or No radio button. Click Apply at the bottom of the page
- Next click on the 5GHz wireless option
- Again the first setting on this page is "Wireless network enable". Select the Yes or No radio button. Click Apply
For 2.4 and 5GHz wireless both to be switched on, both radio buttons must be selected as Yes
To switch both 2.4 and 5GHz wireless off, both radio buttons must be selected as No
- Whenever you disable wireless, a pop-up will ask if you are sure. Click Yes to continue
You can control each radio separately, and you can have one switched off and one switched on all the time. It just means that your Hub wireless light will remain lit orange.
If you haven't changed your Hub settings much, you can switch wireless back on by doing a factory reset. Use a pin or similar object to press the reset pinhole on the back of your Hub until the Power light goes orange. Note that a reset will also return all other Hub settings to their original defaults.
Here's how to turn wireless on and off on the BT Hub 3:
- Open a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager
- If this is the first time you've opened the Hub Manager, you'll be asked to change your password. Please follow the instructions on the screen, then carry on with the steps below
- Click Settings
- Click Wireless
- Set the Broadcast SSID to "Yes" or "No" depending if you want it on or off
- Click Apply