4. Your contract with us begins when we have accepted your order. We will send details of your order to the e-mail address you provide us.
5. Your plan has a minimum period, this and your billing will start on the day we make the service available to you (1 working day after the date we dispatch your SIM) or the day that you start to use the service, whichever is the earlier.
6. You may cancel your service without penalty if you tell us within 14 days from the day after the date we have dispatched your SIM. If you do cancel you will need to pay the subscription charge for your chosen price plan on a pro-rated basis for the period up to the date you cancel the service, plus any out of plan and excluded from your plan charges during the same period.
7. You will need to activate your SIM, and we will provide you with instructions on how to do this in the welcome pack we send you and on bt.com/go. Until you activate your SIM, you will not be able to use data, make or receive calls, or send or receive text or multimedia messages. The service may take up to 3 hours to become available following activation.
8. You need to ensure that your handset is configured with our settings to fully use our services. We will try to do this automatically on your behalf, but cannot guarantee we can do so on all devices. You can find our settings and how to set-up your device at bt.com/setupmyphone.
9. You can find all the information you need about our price plans and charges in our Tariff Guide which is available to view or download at bt.com/tariffguide. Your price plan and any other services that appear on the same bill are billed monthly and are payable by Direct Debit.
10. Each price plan has a monthly allowance of data, minutes, and texts to UK fixed line and mobile numbers. If you exceed your allowance, any additional usage will be charged at the rates set out in the Tariff Guide. We refer to these as 'out of plan' charges.
11. There are services that we offer – including roaming, international calling, MMS, premium rate services, and other chargeable activities – that are not included within your allowance, and which we refer to as 'excluded from plan' services. The charges for these services can be found in our Tariff Guide.
12. Your allowance is designed to be used while you are in the UK. When you use our services abroad you will be charged at the appropriate roaming rate as set out in the Tariff Guide.
13. We will reset your allowance on your billing date each month. Unused data, calls, or texts, from your previous month's allowance are not carried over.
14. You can monitor your allowance and usage with the BT Mobile App (when available for download on compatible devices) or through your My Mobile account at bt.com/mymobile.
15. We will notify you by text when you have used most of your allowance that month for each of data, minutes, and texts.
16. We will set a limit for the amount of out of plan and excluded from plan charges you can incur each month. You can view and modify that limit online at bt.com/mymobile. If you exceed any limit we set, we will either agree an increased limit with you, or restrict the service until your next monthly billing date to prevent you from incurring additional out of plan or excluded from plan charges.
17. If you use our SIM in a device that does not support texts (for example, in a tablet) you are responsible for monitoring your own usage using the tools we provide.
18. Depending on your price plan, and our offers at the time, you may have the option to move to a higher price plan. We call this 'upgrading' your price plan.
19. If you upgrade your price plan, you will receive the full allowance of your new plan. In the month that you upgrade any allowance you have already used from your old plan will be carried forward and included in the allowance for your new plan, but you will not be charged for any out of plan usage from your previous plan that is now included within your new monthly allowance. You will, however, need to pay the difference between your old price plan and your new price plan on a pro-rated basis for the remainder of the month you upgrade. The new monthly price plan charges will continue for the remainder of your minimum period. You can find more details at bt.com/mybt.
20. Depending on your price plan, and our offers at the time, you may have the option to move to the next lowest price plan. We call this 'downgrading' your price plan and you may only do this once during your minimum period.
21. If you downgrade your price plan, this will take effect from your next billing cycle. This means that you will continue on your current plan and allowance until the date of your next bill.
22. The SIM we provide may only be used with mobile devices which are approved for connection to our service.
23. You are responsible for ensuring that your mobile device is compatible with the features we offer and that you wish to use (for example, this means you will need a 4G capable device to use our 4G service).
24. You must not use our services with:
a. mobile broadband devices (which means devices that you may plug into a laptop or computer that would use our service to provide internet access, sometimes known as a dongle or USB modem); or
b. mobile Wi-Fi devices (which means a device that uses our service to provide internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices); or
c. devices that access the internet using a SIM, but are not mobile phones or tablets (for example, laptops with SIM); or
d. any device that may access our Wi-Fi network and is not a mobile phone or tablet that uses a BT Mobile SIM.
25. You must not allow our service to be used:
a. for machine to machine communication (this means the communication between two or more machines without a person); or
b. to create your own personal hotspot which provides internet access to other devices which may be used by yourself or others (this is sometimes known as 'tethering'); or
c. to route, re-route, forward, or divert calls and text messages for commercial gain (this is sometimes known as being a 'GSM gateway' or a 'SIM gateway'), or for any other purposes other than personal use; or
d. to make offensive, indecent, menacing, nuisance or hoax calls, or to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or
e. in any manner which is otherwise unlawful.
26. We provide the ability to use our services outside of the UK, but you must not use them solely for this purpose (that is, our service is not intended nor designed for permanent or near permanent use outside of the UK).
27. You must not resell our service.
28. To ensure that our service is not being misused:
a. there may be no more than 10 SIMs registered at any one address; and
b. you may not use more than one BT SIM in any mobile device within any given month.
29. We may end your service if you have not used data, made a call, or sent a text message within 12 months of activating your SIM.
30. We may suspend or end your service at any time, without notice, if we believe you have used the service in a way that breaches any of the terms of this agreement. If we do so, you will remain liable for any charges (including early termination charges) owed on your account.
31. We provide you with the ability, while in the UK, to restrict access to content that may be considered inappropriate for children. We call these the "BT Mobile Parental Controls".
32. BT Mobile Parental Controls are turned on by default. You can use the tools we provide you at bt.com/mymobile to turn BT Mobile Parental Controls off or to set the level of control you want.
33. You may set up BT Mobile Parental Controls independently for each SIM on your account.
34. If you wish to give your SIM to someone who is below 18 years of age, you must ensure BT Mobile Parental Controls are enabled before doing so.
35. We adhere to the UK code of practice for the self-regulation of content on mobiles. This means that we adhere to its practices and guidance on the categorisation of content and websites, which is provided to us and our suppliers by the British Board of Film Classification (the BBFC). This means that we follow mobile industry best practices, and that the categorisation of sites as inappropriate (or otherwise) is determined by an independent third party.
36. We are not responsible for any content that you, or anybody you allow to use the service, may access using the services we provide.
37. You acknowledge that the quality of our services, and our ability to provide them, can be affected by conditions and circumstances beyond our reasonable control. For example, this means you may experience a change in service due to weather, geographical conditions, and maintenance and repair activities. If you experience any problems with your service you need to let us know by going to the URL and going through various tools provided at bt.com/help/mobile.
38. When using our service, you will experience speeds of up to 30Mbps for downloads and 15Mbps for uploads.
39. We provide you with a checker tool that provides a reasonable guide to our coverage, which can be found at bt.com/coveragechecker. You can use this tool to check coverage in your areas of interest (for example, at your home and where you work). We cannot guarantee the accuracy of our checker or that our services will be available in all parts of the United Kingdom
40. You can find a list of countries where we support roaming at bt.com/help/mobile. You acknowledge that when you are roaming you are using networks that are provided by third parties, and that the quality and coverage of these networks is outside of our control.
41. You are responsible for keeping your SIM secure. In the event that you believe your SIM has been lost or stolen you must let us know immediately by calling us on 0800 800 150.
42. Once you have told us about a lost or stolen SIM, we will temporarily stop providing services to that SIM.
43. If you find your SIM, you can call us on 0800800150 to resume your services. If you cannot find your SIM, or you believe it was stolen we will, at your request, send you a new one. Your new SIM will need to be activated before you can use it.
44. You are responsible for all usage for your price plan up to the time you told us about your lost or stolen SIM. We will continue to charge you for your monthly price plan and we will send you a new SIM within 5 days which you will need to activate on receipt.
45. You are only permitted to use login credentials provided to you as a result of taking the BT Mobile service, to access other BT services – such as BT Sport – on compatible smartphones. You must not use the login credentials we provide with BT Mobile to access other BT services on other devices such as Chromecast and Airplay.
46. You may end your service during the minimum period by giving us 30 days' notice, but if you do so you will be subject to a charge for ending it early. You can find out how this charge is worked out at bt.com/termcharges.
47. If you are using any value added services, applications or features which are free of charge, these will end on the day your agreement with us ends.
If you want to receive details of the fraud prevention agencies we work with, you can contact us by writing to:
The BT Mobility Billing Manager
pp5WW6, Telecom House
Wolverhampton, West Midlands
Please take some time to read this Agreement. It contains important information about the Service and any Equipment that we're providing to you, including how we may change the Service, this Agreement and the Charges.
You'll find the most important bits of this Agreement below. Please read through the full Agreement too.
Some of the words and phrases in the Agreement and these FAQs have special meanings. They all start with a capital letter and are explained in the Definitions section at the end of this Agreement.
Details of your Service, including your Charges, are set out in your Order Confirmation and may also be found on the "My BT" page on the bt.com website.
To use the Service you'll need to insert the SIM Card we provide into a BT Handset or compatible Other Handset which we've approved for use with our network.
If we provide you with Equipment to use with the Service, you won't own it until you've paid your first six monthly bills for the BT Mobile Handset Plan in full.
Until you own the Equipment, you must keep it safe and in good working condition and you mustn't give it or sell it to anyone else during this time.
If you cancel this Agreement during your Cooling Off Period, you'll need to return to us any Equipment that you've received.
If you fail to return the Equipment or return it damaged then we may charge you the full price for that Equipment.
The SIM Card will always be owned by us.
It's important you realise that our Service is only available where our network has coverage in the UK. You can check our estimate of outdoor coverage on our coverage checker at bt.com/coveragechecker. We can't guarantee that coverage will always be available because coverage depends on where you are and is affected by various factors outside our control.
When you go abroad, you may be able to use roaming services through our selected partner networks. You may incur Excluded From Plan Charges when roaming abroad. We'll set a limit for the amount of Excluded From Plan Charges you can incur each month.
We provide the Service for a minimum amount of time (your Minimum Term), which is set out in your Order Confirmation. We start providing the Service on the Service Start Date, which is also set out in your Order Confirmation (unless you pre-order a BT Handset, in which case we'll contact you separately about this). We start charging you from this date too.
If you change your mind, you may cancel your Service as set out in Paragraph 5 of this Agreement.
In some circumstances you may also end the Service early. Details are set out in Paragraph 15 of this Agreement.
If you end the Service during the Minimum Term, or if we end it before the Minimum Term has ended, we may charge you an early termination charge. The amount you're charged will be equal to the total amount of Core Service Charges you'd have paid us if you stayed with us for the whole Minimum Term less any costs we may save from you leaving early. More information on early termination charges is set out at: bt.com/termcharges.
Unless you tell us, we'll charge these amounts directly to the account details you've given us, and we'll give you as much notice as reasonably practicable first. For more information about early termination charges, please see Paragraph 19 of this Agreement or go to bt.com/earlytermination.
We may increase the Charges at any time. See Paragraphs 26 and 27 of this Agreement for more detail. If you change your chosen Service, you'll pay the revised Charge for your new Service from the day we agree it will start.
We may increase the Charges at any time. Where we are able to do so, we'll give you at least 30 days' notice before we put your Charges up. See Paragraph 23.2 for more details.
If we increase the Core Service Charges, or make any other changes to Charges which cause you a significant disadvantage, we'll let you end the Service without having to pay the higher amount.
It's important you realise we may change the Service (including any Equipment provided, the SIM Card and Service Features), and the terms of this Agreement at any time (even in your Minimum Term).
We'll give you at least 30 days' notice of the change unless we're not reasonably able to do so and if the change is to your significant disadvantage you'll have the ability to end your Service without paying early termination fees. Please see Paragraph 23.2 for more details.
You may also be able to change your Service by contacting us.
If we provide you with more than one service or item of equipment (for example, if we provide more than one of BT Sport, BT Mobile, BT TV, the BT Broadband Service or the BT Phone Service) you'll have a separate agreement for each service (and possibly for different items of equipment and/or Service Features). Please make sure you read each different agreement carefully. Although some of the terms are the same or very similar, each agreement has important differences. However, if you're upgrading to our Family SIM Plan, all of the SIM Cards provided as part of that offer will be subject to this single agreement (so you'll pay one price for all of the SIM Cards in your Family SIM plan).
If you've bought more than one service or item of equipment from us and you end some of those services or items of equipment, but not all of them, you may lose any discounts or offers that were part of the original offer for your Service and your Charges may go up. If this happens we'll tell you.
You can also access a summary of the changes, these terms and conditions and our policies online at bt.com/legalstuff.
You may phone us on 0800 800 150. Calls are free from landlines, BT Handsets and Other Handsets that use a SIM Card, and charged at your operator's standard rate from other mobiles.
We may record calls (including marketing calls) to help us with training and to prevent ID fraud. We also record all 999 and 112 emergency calls.
Our Customer Complaints Code tells you how to contact us and the process for dealing with any complaint or dispute. You may see a copy of the code at bt.com/complaintscode.
Please take some time to read this Agreement. It's a legally binding contract between us ("us", "we" or "our") and you ("you" or "your") and it contains important information about the Service and any Equipment we're providing to you, including how we may change the Service, this Agreement and the Charges.
6. What am I getting?
1. The Service is a varying service provided as either:
(a) the BT Mobile SIM Only Plan; or
(b) the BT Mobile Handset Plan,
which are the two different ways that we provide the Service and which may change from time to time. Further details of the Service we provide are in the Definitions section below. We'll agree with you which Service you wish to take when you place your order.
2. You may add Service Features to your Service from time to time and this will constitute a variation to this Agreement.
7. Your use of the Service
1. The Service is for you or members of your household to use for your and their personal use as a consumer (i.e. wholly or mainly for purposes outside any trade, business or profession). You're responsible for the way the Service, any SIM Card and the Equipment are used.
2. You mustn't re-sell, re-supply or otherwise distribute our Service. To ensure that our Service isn't being misused:
(a) no more than 10 SIM Cards can be registered at your Address; and
(b) you mustn't use more than one SIM Card in the same BT Handset or Other Handset in any one month unless we've provided you with a replacement SIM Card for any reason (for example, if the SIM Card is faulty or if you've lost it).
3. You agree that, when using the Service and Equipment, you'll:
(a) follow the BT Policies;
(b) follow any reasonable instructions we give you about the Service, the SIM Card and any Equipment and comply with our reasonable security checks;
(c) get any consents or permissions we need so we can provide the Service;
(d) tell us if you change your name, your Address, your contact telephone number, your email address, your payment details or anything else which we may need to know about;
(e) do everything you can to keep your BT ID username and password secure and confidential and prevent anyone else from using them. You should also keep your bill and BT ID safe from fraudsters. More details are available at bt.com/scams;
(f) tell us straight away and change your BT ID password if you suspect or become aware of any breach of security of your BT ID;
(g) only use the login credentials we provide with the Service to access other BT services (such as BT Sport and BT Wi-Fi) from a compatible BT Handset or Other Handset that uses SIM Card. You mustn't use the login credentials to access other BT services on other devices such as Chromecast and Airplay;
(h) use the Service, the SIM Card and any Equipment for lawful purposes (in line with all laws, statutes and rules in force in England and Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland (if relevant));
(i) not do anything which might have a negative effect on: (i) our systems, networks, servers or security; (ii) other customers' use of services or customers' equipment; (iii) other customers' security; or (iv) any other person's or business's systems, networks or security; and
(j) not infringe the intellectual property rights of BT or others (for example you'll not share protected material such as an image, music or video file without permission of the copyright owner).
4. You won't allow the Service, the SIM Card or Equipment to be used:
(a) for automatic communication between two devices (sometimes known as 'machine to machine communication' or 'M2M') unless it's for your personal use and interaction as a consumer. For example, you must not insert a SIM Card into any smart appliance, such as a thermostat in your home, or into a connected vehicle;
(b) with any device that routes, re-routes, forwards, or diverts calls, data, text messages, multimedia (picture) messages or other services from or to our network, to avoid Charges, make money or for any other purpose. These types of devices include a 'GSM gateway', a 'SIM box' or a 'repeater'; or
(c) with equipment that we haven't authorised you to use with the Service including:
(i) mobile broadband devices such as dongles or USB modems;
(ii) mobile Wi-Fi devices that use our service to provide internet access to other Wi-Fi enabled devices; or
(iii) any device that may access our Wi-Fi network or the internet that isn't a mobile phone (or other device) that uses a BT Mobile SIM Card.
5. You're responsible for keeping the SIM Card and any Equipment secure. If you believe the SIM Card or Equipment has been lost or stolen, tell us immediately by calling 0800 800 150. We'll then temporarily stop providing the Service to the SIM Card or Equipment. If you find the SIM Card or Equipment, let us know on 0800 800 150 and we'll resume your Service. If you can't find the SIM Card or believe it was stolen, if you ask us, we'll send you a new SIM Card to replace the lost or stolen one within five days, which you'll need to activate on receipt. We're not responsible for your lost or stolen Equipment and you must provide or buy an Other Handset that we've approved for use with our Service if you want to use your replacement SIM Card. You're responsible for and must pay us for all usage and other Charges on your account up to the time you tell us the SIM Card or any Equipment has been lost or stolen. If you have a BT Mobile Handset Plan and you do not own the Equipment, you may also have to pay us Charges for the Equipment after you tell us it has been lost or stolen as you remain responsible for any Equipment. Please see Paragraph 30.3 to see if you own the Equipment.
6. If we hold a reasonable belief that you've misused the Service, the SIM Card or Equipment, or authorised anyone else to misuse the Service, the SIM Card or Equipment, we might require you to reimburse us for any losses or damage we suffer as a result. Further details about misuse of the Service, the SIM Card and Equipment are set out in our Acceptable Use Policy which you can read at bt.com/acceptableuse.
7. You mustn't give your BT Wi-Fi login credentials we provide with the Service to anyone else to use. If we reasonably believe that you have provided your BT Wi-Fi login details to anyone else or you have accessed, or allowed someone else to access, the BT Wi-Fi service from a device that is not a compatible BT Handset or Other Handset that uses a SIM Card, then we may suspend or end your access to the BT Wi-Fi service.
8. Usage allowances
1. Your usage allowance is designed to be used while you're in the UK. When you use the Service abroad, you'll be charged Excluded From Plan Charges at the appropriate roaming rate set out in the Tariff Guide, which you can view at bt.com/tariffguide.
2. You may use our Service in certain countries whilst roaming outside of the UK but you mustn't use it solely for this purpose because the Service isn't intended nor designed for permanent or near permanent use outside of the UK. You can find a list of countries where we support roaming at .bt.com/help/mobile. If you're roaming outside the UK, you're using networks provided by someone else and the quality and coverage of these networks is outside our control. Foreign laws, statutes and rules will also apply to your use of the Service when you're in a different country and you must comply with them. Roaming charges are not included in your BT Mobile SIM Only Plan or BT Mobile Handset Plan monthly usage allowance.
3. Remember that if you're close to a border with another country you may accidentally switch to roaming on another network and you'll be charged for any usage of the Service in accordance with the roaming Charges set out in the Tariff Guide, which you can view at bt.com/tariffguide. If you live close to a border with another country (for example, in Dover or Northern Ireland), we recommend that you switch off roaming capability on your BT Handset or Other Handset when you aren't using your BT Handset or Other Handset abroad.
10. Emergency services
If you're in an area of our network that has coverage in the UK, you may contact the emergency services for free by dialling 999 or 112 from your BT Handset or Other Handset that uses a SIM Card. If you're in an area where we don't have coverage, your BT Handset or Other Handset that uses a SIM Card will automatically connect to someone else's network if they have coverage in that area. The emergency services may be able to see your approximate location depending on your BT Handset or Other Handset that uses a SIM Card and the settings that you've enabled on it at the time. If you need to contact the emergency services whilst roaming abroad, you'll need to call 112 (which is a recognised emergency services number in many countries) or the local emergency services number if this is different.
11. Setting up your Service
12. Providing the Service to you – what we have to do for you
13. Paying what you owe us
14. Additional Charges
15. When you may end the Service
16. When we may restrict, suspend or end the Service
17. When the Service ends
18. When you receive other services or items of equipment from us
19. Early termination charges
20. What you can do when we don't meet our promises
21. What we're not responsible for and limits on our liability
22. Returning faulty SIM Cards and Equipment
23. How we may change your Service, Service Features, SIM Card, the Charges and the terms of this Agreement
24. Changes to the Service, Service Features, SIM Card or the terms of this Agreement
25. Other changes to the Service, Service Features, SIM Card or the terms of this Agreement
26. Changes to the Charges
27. Other changes to the Charges
28. Moving between Services, Service Features or monthly usage allowances
29. You can choose to change your Service, Service Feature or monthly usage allowance
30. SIM Card, Equipment, mobile phone number and software
1. (a) you'll look after the Equipment with reasonable care, keep it in good working order and won't damage or destroy it. If the Equipment is damaged other than through fair wear and tear, you'll have to pay for it to be repaired or replaced;
2. (b) you'll only download software applications and other programmes from approved third parties,
3. (c) you'll not alter, remove or replace any parts in the Equipment unless we ask you to (for example, if we're helping you to fix a problem); and
4. (d) you must not permanently give, lease or sell the Equipment to anyone else unless we agree that you can.
5. Any Equipment that we provide to you may be locked to our network. If it is possible to unlock your Equipment and you ask us to do so, we may charge you a fee. Details of the amount that we may charge you is set out in the Tariff Guide, which you can view at bt.com/tariffguide.
6. You don't own the phone number we allocate to you. It is owned by OFCOM and may be allocated to another person in the future if you don't take it with you (by requesting your PAC) when you end the Service.
7. You don't own the SIM Card. The SIM Card will always be owned by us. The SIM Card may be deactivated when you end the Service. If we ask you, you'll return or destroy the SIM Card.
8. The software in the SIM Card and any Equipment is owned by or licensed to BT. Sometimes you'll have to agree to the terms of an end user licence to use software which forms part of the Service, Service Features, the SIM Card or the Equipment. You won't have to pay any charges under any end user licence unless you've agreed to do so.
9. You'll allow software in the Service, the SIM Card or any Equipment to be changed (for example updated, upgraded or replaced). Software changes may happen automatically.
10. You won't connect any equipment (including the BT Handset, Other Handset or the SIM Card) to our network that may harm it or anyone else's equipment or services. If you do, you'll disconnect it straight away, or allow us to, at your expense.
11. We can only support and be responsible for the Equipment and the SIM Card. If you wish to use any non-BT equipment (such as an Other Handset) it's your responsibility to check that such equipment is compatible with the Service.
31. How to get in touch with us and how we'll contact you
32. Parental controls
33. Sorting out complaints
34. Transferring this Agreement
35. Other things we need to tell you
Back to top