Celebrating Black History Month on BT SportOct 12 | 6 min read
Everyone at BT Sport is UNITED in our commitment to fight racism, both in sport and society.
We fully support Black Lives Matter and the statement being made by Premier League players and are absolutely determined that our support will continue.
As a broadcaster we will use our voice and platform to fight against racism to help create a truly inclusive environment and society.
As an employer, we are proud of our diverse team, both on and off screen and our committed Inclusion and Diversity strategy. But we have more work to do to ensure our team truly reflects our audiences and our community.
We pledge to review and accelerate our Inclusion and Diversity strategy to:
- Implement cultural sensitivity and unconscious bias training for all our people.
- Improve career development, pathway and mentoring programmes, to ensure opportunity for all.
- Build on our long-standing partnerships with organisations such as BCOMS (Black Collective of Media in Sport), Badu Sports and other external bodies to ensure external input and full peer review.
- Continue to invest in our successful outreach and community initiatives such as the Real World Learning initiative with School 21, BT Sport TakeOver and our newest initiative in partnership with ITV and other broadcasters ‘Rise Up’.
- Review our recruitment processes to ensure we are truly open and inclusive as a prospective employer and continue to invest in our successful apprenticeship programme, offering career opportunities to young people from our local communities in East London.
- Dedicate more training and development opportunities for employees careers to assist with clear routes to progression and promotion.
- Continue to support charities and projects committed to helping fight racism and improve lives