Queen Latifah: ‘Black women have been equalising for years'Jul 23 | 6 min read
Here's why everyone should watch The Secret Life of Pets 2
We reveal the best bits about the movie, fascinating facts you didn’t know, who voices the characters, and more, as The Secret Life of Pets sequel is coming soon to NOW TV.
The Secret Life of Pets 2 is available to stream with the NOW TV Sky Cinema Pass from Friday, March 20
The Secret Life of Pets 2 is the heartwarming sequel to the summer 2016 Illumination blockbuster.
From director Chris Renaud (Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax) and writer Brian Lynch (Minions), Pets 2 is the perfect family film - whether you’ve got pets or not!
We reveal the best bits about the movie, fascinating facts you didn’t know and Easter eggs you didn’t spot, who voices the characters, and more.
Who voices the characters?
The Secret Life of Pets 2 features the original characters from the first film, plus some newbies.
Comedian Patton Oswalt replaces Louis C.K. as the voice of Max, a Jack Russell Terrier, alongside Eric Stonestreet (Modern Family) who’s back as Duke, a large, brown, shaggy Newfoundland mix who Max lives with.
Kevin Hart (Central Intelligence) also returns as Snowball, a white rabbit and former flushed pet, alongside Jenny Slate (Parks and Recreation) as Gidget, a white Pomeranian, and Lake Bell (It’s Complicated) as Chloe, a morbidly obese and apathetic grey tabby cat.
Tiffany Haddish (Girls Trip) joins the voice line-up as Daisy, a Shih Tzu, alongside Nick Kroll (Sausage Party) as Sergei, an abusive circus owner.
Harrison Ford (Star Wars, Indiana Jones) is another new addition to the cast, voicing Rooster, a Welsh Sheepdog.
3 reasons to watch The Secret Life of Pets 2…
1. It introduces fresh, new characters
Although the fan favourite characters from the first film are back, it’s the arrival of the new characters - both pet and human! - that bring a fresh, new energy to the film.
Tiffany Haddish (Daisy), Nick Kroll (Sergei), Pete Holmes (Chuck) and Harrison Ford (Rooster) are the main newbies to Pet 2 - but it’s the latter character who really shines.
Ford voices sheepdog Rooster “with growling cowboy gruffness”, writes the Guardian, adding a different sort of personality to the first film’s line-up.
He also comes up with some great one-liners to inspire Max, like “the first step of not being afraid is acting like you’re not afraid.” Wise words, Rooster!
The arrival of the new characters also welcomes the arrival of new settings - including a circus and a farm, making the second film feel visually different to the first one.
2. The new baby storyline was inspired by real life events
Where the first film revolved largely around animals, the second film has the exciting addition of babies.
Max was quite the pampered pooch in Pets 1, but when his owner has a new baby, Max begins to see danger everywhere and goes out of his way to keep the little one free from harm.
There are some really funny moments in Pets 2 with the new baby character, like when Max tries to stop the little one from running into a flock of pigeons.
The struggles of keeping your baby safe, like Max is trying to do, is actually inspired by one of the film’s writer’s own home truths.
Brian Lynch wrote on Twitter: “One of the storylines in the movie is about Max and Duke's owner having a baby, and Max becoming somewhat of a helicopter parent.
“The minute this perfect little kid comes into his life, he fears for him, and realises how dangerous the world is.
“This is exactly how I felt the moment my kid was born. I didn't want anything to hurt him, but at the same time, you have to let your kid, especially as he gets older, live his life and learn from his mistakes.”
3. It’ll warm your heart while making you laugh
The perfect family film, Pets 2 is both heartwarming and funny, and ideal for a cosy movie night.
The camaraderie between the animals is adorable, but it has plenty of jokes too to keep both adults and kids entertained.
The Secret Life of Pets 2 trivia: Did you know...
1. They might both be new additions to Pets 2, but Tiffany Haddish and Nick Kroll have actually worked together before - on the 2018 sports comedy movie, Uncle Drew.
2. According to the film’s screenwriter Brian Lynch on Twitter, the hamster at the pet therapist who is frustrated that running in his wheel doesn't actually get him anywhere is voiced by Garth Jennings - the director of another Illumination title, Sing.
3. Despite a 40+ year career in Hollywood - this is the first time actor Harrison Ford has lent his voice to an animated film.
4. You might see a white tiger in the film named Hu. The word 'Hu' is in fact Chinese for 'tiger'.
5. Stick around until the end, as the movie has a mid-credits scene. According to ScreenRant.com, Snowball (Kevin Hart), performs a mid-credits rap dressed as a gangster superhero, followed by a soundbite from Rooster (Harrison Ford) at the end of the film saying "OK, movie's over".
What fans are saying about The Secret Life of Pets 2
Fans who’ve seen the film praised its family-friendly humour:
The Secret Life of Pets 2 is available to stream with the NOW TV Sky Cinema Pass from Friday, March 20.