Leeds United v TottenhamMay 8 LIVE
A statistical look at some of the significant inclusions in the England squad
We take a statistical look at some of the significant inclusions.
England’s squad for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against Bulgaria and Kosovo included several uncapped and surprising selections.
Here, the PA news agency takes a statistical look at some of the significant inclusions.
Club: Aston Villa
Aston Villa paid upwards of £20million this summer to turn the defender’s loan move from Bournemouth into a permanent deal, and he has wasted no time in converting that into an England debut.
– Mings leads all Premier League players in clearances so far this season – his tally of 32 is 11 clear of nearest challenger Ben Godfrey of Norwich, the only other player over 20.
– After he joined Villa on loan at the end of January last season, they won 11 games and kept six clean sheets in the remainder of the regular season and play-offs – in both cases matching the figure they achieved in the 31 matches before he signed.
Club: Manchester United
Another player to move clubs this summer, Wan-Bissaka joined United from Crystal Palace in a deal worth an initial £45million.
– The full-back has played every minute in United’s defence in the Premier League this season, along with fellow summer arrival and now England team-mate Harry Maguire.
– Wan-Bissaka ranks second in the top flight in tackles with 16, one behind Leicester full-back Ricardo Pereira. He was third last season, when he led all defenders with 129 while adding the same number of clearances and 84 interceptions.
The attacking midfielder only made his Premier League debut this month after returning from a loan spell at Derby.
– Mount has scored two goals in three games this season, matching Tammy Abraham as all of Chelsea’s four league goals have come from English players.
– His 12 shots rank joint-second in the top flight, behind only Burnley striker Ashley Barnes.
– Mount’s contribution out of possession is also in his favour – he has made eight tackles, this season, joint-22nd in the Premier League.
The 22-year-old midfielder joined Leicester after a 15-goal season with Norwich in 2017-18 and enjoyed a successful debut campaign in the Premier League.
– Maddison led last season’s Premier League with 100 “key passes”, as tracked by WhoScored.com
– He has two assists already this season, for Wilfred Ndidi’s equaliser at Chelsea and Jamie Vardy’s opener at Sheffield United, and scored in normal time and in the penalty shoot-out in the Carabao Cup win over Newcastle.
England manager Gareth Southgate has welcomed back the injury-hit Liverpool midfielder, saying he is “quite clear that he would have probably been in our starting team at the World Cup had he been fit”.
– Oxlade-Chamberlain has played only 121 minutes of Premier League football over last season and this, attempting 55 passes and three shots at goal. The 2-1 win over Southampton was his first start for 16 months.
– His last goal at any level of football came in April 2018’s Champions League clash with Manchester City, while his last England cap was in October 2017 against Lithuania.