Premier League 2021/22 review - Analysis of every team's seasonMay 23 | 22 min read
Dillian Whyte prepared to do ‘whatever it takes’ to beat Tyson Fury
Whyte had swerved several media obligations before the final press conference.
Dillian Whyte says he is “willing to do whatever it takes” to have his hand raised against Tyson Fury as the rivals finally came head-to-head before this weekend’s world heavyweight title fight.
Whyte has swerved several media obligations, including the fight announcement press conference and Tuesday’s open workouts, ahead of a bout that is expected to attract 94,000 spectators at Wembley Stadium on Saturday night.
But he turned up to face WBC champion Fury for the final pre-fight press conference, a cordial affair where both fighters complimented each other. Only when they stared off did tempers flare between the camps although both Fury, mandatory challenger Whyte and promoter Frank Warren cooled tensions.
“We’ve worked hard in the gym, I believe in myself and I’m willing to do whatever it takes,” Whyte said. “Victory by any means necessary I’ll do that. I’m not scared to take risks, it’s nothing new.
“It means everything to fight in my home country for the world title. It’s massive.
“Me and him didn’t expect to be here, especially me. I’ve taken risks time and time and time again. I’m ready to rock and roll.”
Fury made the first defence of his title by stopping Deontay Wilder in the 11th round of a memorable trilogy fight last October and the Briton insisted he has left no stone unturned in his preparation to face Whyte.
“Dillian’s a good fighter, he’s big, strong, tough, game, he’s got good punch power that’s knocked out a lot of men,” Fury said.
“He’s got a lot of experience in the fight game.
I’ve done everything I can possibly do to train for this
- Tyson Fury
“He’s definitely a man that needs a lot of respect and that’s what I’ve given him.
“I’ve done everything I can possibly do to train for this. I’ve trained as hard for Dillian as I have for Wilder. He’ll be fighting the best Tyson Fury.”
There were no questions allowed from the room full of journalists at Wembley and during the press conference it was confirmed MTK Global were to cease operation at the end of April.
MTK Global, who had up until today listed Fury as one of their fighters, were co-founded by Daniel Kinahan in 2012.
Last week alleged crime boss Kinahan was hit with sanctions by the US Government for his involvement in the Irish Kinahan Group and a five million US dollars (£3.84m) reward was offered by US officials for information on the group leading to the arrest and conviction of its leaders.
A statement from MTK Global read: “As a business we have faced unprecedented levels of unfair scrutiny and criticism since the sanctioning by the US Government of Daniel Joseph Kinahan.
“Since leading promoters have now informed us that they will be severing all ties with MTK and will no longer work with our fighters, we have taken the difficult decision to cease operations at the end of this month.
“MTK prospered because we always put the long-term interests of our fighters at the heart of what we do. Our priority in the weeks ahead will be to ensure that our world-class boxers are supported to find new partnerships as swiftly as possible.
“MTK gyms are operated independently so will remain open for the foreseeable future. Further announcements will be made in due course.
“Thank you to all the fans who have supported us over the last decade.”