BT SmartTalk Service terms
What we provide
- The Service we provide allows you and up to four other users to each make outgoing calls from a separate Android Smartphone or iPhone using a mobile data or Wi-Fi network via the BT SmartTalk application. These calls are billed to your existing BT home phone account and charged at the same rate that would have applied if those calls had been made from your home phone.
- In order to set up the Service you must;
- have a suitable BT residential telephone line with an eligible BT call plan;
- disable any call divert products on your home phone line both while you set up the Service and when any other user registers to use the Service (you can re-instate these products after the set-up or registration is complete); and
- meet any other eligibility criteria as set out on the BT SmartTalk pages at www.bt.com/BTSmartTalk
The Service is not available if you are a BT Basic customers or if at the time that you apply to set up the service you are in the debt management process with BT.
- The Service can be used by you and up to four other users per BT home phone account. Each user may only download the application onto a single mobile device. You are responsible for any charges for calls made by any user via the Service that are not free as part of your home phone call plan.
- You will be informed when another user signs up for the Service. They must get your permission before signing up to the Service.
- All users must have a compatible mobile device as described on www.bt.com/BTSmartTalk
- It is each user's responsibility to check that the terms and conditions of their mobile service provider allow them to use the Service.
When the Service starts
- Your Service will start when you successfully complete the sign up process and download the application on your mobile device. Each additional user's service will start when they complete the registration process and download the application on their mobile device. There is no minimum period for Service but if you or another user fails to make a call using the service for more than 180 days, the application will be disabled on that user's mobile device. Shortly before this happens we will notify any user affected with details of what they need to do to continue to use the Service.
Terms specific to you
- We will write to you when each new user signs up for the Service associated with your BT home phone account.
- If after we write to you, you decide that you do not want that user to be able to use the Service, you must reject their service application as soon as possible. You can do this by going to the "MyBT" area on BT.com
- You will be responsible for paying all charges incurred by any user of the Service.
- You will be able to restrict the types of calls that each user of the Service is able to make – for example, calls to Premium Rate services and international calls. You can also block or un-block the Service for any particular user.
Terms specific to other users of the Service
- Each user that registers to use the Service we provide to you must acknowledge that:
- they are responsible for getting your approval prior to registering for the Service, downloading the application and using the Service;
- details of all calls they make using the Service, including duration, time and number called will appear on your BT bill; and
- you can restrict the types of calls they make or stop and block their further use of the Service.
- If another user wants to make calls to numbers that you have barred, they will need to ask you to unblock their access to those numbers.
Quality of Service
- We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service but we do not guarantee either the quality of the Service or that the Service will be available at all times. From time to time faults in the Service may occur. We will repair these faults as soon as we can.
- Even if your BT home phone line is working normally, we do not guarantee that the Service will always work. The Service is dependent on the availability of each user's Mobile data or Wi-Fi network.
- All users will be able to get help with queries relating to the Service by using the following link www.bt.com/BTSmartTalk
- The quality of the Service is dependent on a good quality internet connection and uses either Wi-Fi or a mobile data connection.
- Calls made using the Service are media encrypted to ensure call privacy.
- A call made using the service will end either:
- when you end the call on your device: or
- 25 seconds after your device loses contact with our network (note: we continue to maintain the call in case your device re-establishes a signal with our network within this period); or
- 40 seconds after the last party you were connected to has ended their call, if you do not end the call on your handset/device before then.
- Calls to Emergency Services will identify the home address of your BT home phone account and present your home phone number.
- If the Service is used in any way that we consider is likely to be detrimental to the provision of the Service or which may adversely affect other customers' enjoyment of the Service we reserve the right to terminate the Service immediately.
Paying for the Service
- There is no rental charge for the Service.
- Calls made using the Service which would not be inclusive as part of your home phone call plan will be charged at the same rate that would have applied if those calls had been made from your home phone.
- Use of mobile data and Wi-Fi networks in excess of any data or Wi-Fi allowance may result in charges from the user's mobile Service provider. Each user is responsible for paying any such charges.
Changing your BT Service and the terms and conditions
Changes we may make
- Occasionally, we may have to interrupt the Service. If we do so, we will restore it as quickly as we can. We may also make minor changes to certain technical specifications, including sending updates to the application from time to time.
- We will inform all users of any changes to the terms and conditions of this Service, either by email, a broadcast message from the App Store or using a push notification on the application. The continued use of the Service by users after notification will be treated as their acceptance of the changes.
- Where we provide updates automatically, all users will need to accept these to ensure the Service continues to work correctly. Users may be required to download updates from the App.Store, iTunes or Google Play.
- If your BT home phone account goes into debt management and a restriction on calling is placed on home phone line, we will automatically place the same restriction on the use of the Service by any user.
- If you move home resulting in a break in your BT home phone service, then until such time as the telephone service is resumed or terminated, any calls made via the Service will be subject to the benefits, restrictions and charges appropriate to the Unlimited Weekend Plan.
Changes you can make
- You are the only person able to make changes to the Service or generate billing enquiries. Other users can stop their own use of the Service via the application or the bt.com portal.
Ending your agreement
- The Service has no minimum term and you or any other user may end it at any time.
- If you end your BT home phone agreement the Service will also end for both you and any other users.
Other things you need to know
- Any user that registers for the Service by providing the relevant information about your BT home phone account will be able to start using the Service immediately. We will write to you and send an SMS text to your registered mobile device each time another user successfully registers for the Service.
- If another user generates charges before you are reasonably able to reject that user's registration, then provided you do reject that user's registration within a reasonable period after we have told you about it, we will refund any charges generated by that user up to the point at which their registration was rejected. Any refund will be by bill credit to you BT home phone account and will appear on the next or subsequent bill after you rejected that user's registration.
- If you do not reject another user's registration within a reasonable time after we have told you about it, we will consider that you are happy to accept that user and you will be responsible for all charges generated by that user via their use of the Service.
- All users acknowledge that where the Service application is installed on an Android mobile phone, the application will recognise when any outgoing call is initiated from the phone and read the number called. The application may interrupt the normal flow of any such call and invite the user to make that call using the BT SmartTalk Service. Users will be able to opt out of this if they not wish this to happen.
- Calls to Personal Numbers prefixed 070 and all incoming calls – including reverse charge calls – are barred from the Service.
- Calls to certain numbers will be barred on sign up but you can un-bar these call types so that they can be made by you or any other user. Any call barring set up on your BT home phone line will not automatically be replicated for the Service. It is your responsibility to replicate any call barring present on your home phone line to all users of the Service.
- You must use the Service in accordance with the laws of the country where you are currently located, as in some countries there may be restrictions on making calls over WIFI or on calls that are encrypted. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are not using the Service in places where such restrictions are in place.
Back to top