Here are a few things you can do to help even old wireless devices get a more powerful wi-fi connection.
Upgrade to Halo - now with a Complete Wi-Fi Guarantee
Complete Wi-Fi extends your Hub's signal with Wi-Fi discs so you can get online throughout your home.
If you get Halo with Complete Wi-Fi, we'll automatically send you our new generation Smart Hub 2 and one Wi-Fi disc to extend the wi-fi signal around your home. This is enough for most homes to get a signal everywhere. If this doesn't give you a signal in every room, we'll send up to two more Wi-Fi discs free of charge.
Learn more about Complete Wi-Fi
Location, location, location
It's vital to put your BT Hub in the right place - ideally near to where you most use the internet. Solid surfaces like walls, doors, wardrobes and cupboards will all affect your wi-fi signal, so follow our tips to get the best signal
- Position your Hub in the middle of your home. This will reduce the number of walls slowing down your signal and you'll get better wi-fi in more places in your home.
- Keep your Hub away from the window otherwise half your signal will be sent outside
- If you put your Hub in a cupboard, it'll slow down your speed and reduce how far your signal can go
- Get your Hub off the floor on to a shelf or table. If it's on the floor, a lot of your signal will be sent to your floorboards
- Don't put it behind the TV or on top of a metal box. Metal objects reflect and scatter your signal
- Get the latest kit
Get the latest kit
At BT we're always improving our Hubs. Our latest Smart Hub gives you a powerful wi-fi signal, with a superfast, reliable connection in more places around your home. You can get one by upgrading your broadband package.
Get the latest BT Smart Hub
Give your devices a break
- Turn off wi-fi on your device (or put it in airplane mode for a few seconds) then switch the wi-fi back on
- Restarting your devices once in a while will help you get the best connection to your home's wi-fi
Sharing your wi-fi
Your network can become crowded when lots of devices connect to it at the same time. If you keep Smart Wireless turned on, your hub will automatically move your devices to wireless channels with less interference.
Using an Ethernet cable will also mean you get the best connection and fastest speeds.