If the usage allowance of your current broadband package isn't enough, you should change to an option with a higher allowance.
If the usage allowance of your current broadband package isn't enough, you should change to an option with a higher allowance. Options with unlimited usage allow you to upload and download as much as you want without worrying about whether you'll be charged for additional usage.
Why is my usage higher than I expected?
- Additional devices - if you've got more than one computer at home, or devices such as games consoles or mobile phones that use wi-fi
- Viruses - without you knowing, viruses on your computer can access your internet connection in the background. So it's important that you've got an up-to-date virus checker installed
- Insecure wi-fi - make sure your wi-fi security is switched on to prevent other people using your broadband. See www.bt.com/help/hub for help with Hub security
- Peer to peer (P2P) uploads - as the usage allowance includes both uploads and downloads, any peer to peer file requests will contribute to your total usage level. If this becomes a problem you can adjust the setting on your P2P software or remove it completely.
- Background activity - certain software may access the internet directly from your computer to install updates